Some job training programs are already being tested by the Trump administration.
But the administration announced on Monday it is testing a new federal job training initiative, called Jobs With Justice, which would give federal workers $100,000 to take part in job-training classes.
The jobs training program, which was created by former President Barack Obama in 2015, has been a contentious issue among conservative groups who argue it is an unnecessary expansion of government control of the private sector.
They argue it will not help Americans find jobs and could lead to a surge in people quitting their jobs to find work elsewhere.
The administration has proposed expanding the program, but critics say it is too expensive, will only help the unemployed and will not improve the quality of jobs offered.
Job training programs have become a controversial topic for Republicans in recent years as the Trump presidency has become a focal point of the party’s efforts to woo working-class voters.
Republicans, who are now seeking to regain control of Congress, have argued that the federal job-train programs, which began under former President George W. Bush, have not been effective.
The president, in a tweet Monday, called the Job Training Program “a failed program that’s cost taxpayers millions of dollars.”
He also announced that the new program will offer $100 million to states for job training.
Trump also ordered the National Labor Relations Board to hold hearings to investigate whether the Job Corps is a federal program, saying the board has jurisdiction to investigate claims of federal control over the private sectors.
Trump’s order also directs the Labor Department to create a new task force to address the “job-training and unemployment benefits for unemployed workers” under the federal Job Corps.
The Labor Department said in a statement Monday that it will begin the review of the Job Corp’s program on Jan. 27.
The agency is the federal agency that administers the federal Jobs with Justice program.
“Job Corps and other similar federal job placements have been a source of controversy and litigation for decades,” Labor Secretary Thomas Perez said in the statement.
“Today, the administration is making clear that it is taking action to make sure that no American’s job-seeking opportunity is jeopardized by this misguided federal program.”
Job Corps and similar federal Job Placements have been targeted by conservatives for being too expensive and too burdensome for the unemployed to complete, said Jason Daley, a labor law professor at the University of Michigan Law School.
“I’m glad the Trump government is taking a serious look at the program,” Daley said.
“It is going to be a challenge, but it will be a good one.”
Job placements were designed to help Americans get a foot in the door of the workforce by giving them the skills and knowledge to find and hold positions in jobs they are qualified for.
The Job Corps launched in the mid-2000s, when it was a private nonprofit organization that offered free job-placement training to unemployed Americans and others who were unable to find jobs.
Job Corps has expanded since then to include hundreds of thousands of participants.
Some critics have said the program’s focus on providing free jobs is a form of government coercion.
In 2017, the Trump-era Labor Department issued a report that found Job Corps had not met its goals for creating jobs, but the administration has defended the program by arguing that it provides jobs for people who are not ready for the labor market.
In an August 2016 report, the Labor department estimated that the Job Covers program was providing between 2,400 and 3,000 unemployed Americans a job every day.
Job Corp has since closed, but a separate report released Monday by the liberal Center for American Progress said that the group has received $5.4 billion in federal funding.
It also said that a new study released in May found that the program has not delivered on its promises to train unemployed Americans.